Fulton County Board of Health - FAQs

Below you will find a series of answers to many frequently asked questions about the services and programs offered at the Fulton County Board of Health. If you are not able to find an answer to the questions you have within this page, please feel free to contact us for additional help.

Vital Records

What are the Specific Types of ID’s that are Acceptable as Proof of Identity?

A valid photo ID that is current or has been expired for less than a year, such as one of the following is acceptable:

  • Georgia driver’s license
  • State of Georgia Identification
  • Unexpired driver’s license issued by another U.S. State, jurisdiction or territory
  • Unexpired official Identification Card issued by another U.S. State, jurisdiction or territory
  • Unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport
  • U.S. Military Identification, Military Dependent Identification, Veteran’s Identification
  • Unexpired Consulate Card
  • Transportation ID
  • Debit Card with Photo
  • Employer ID Card with Photo
  • School, University, or College Identification Card with Photo
  • DMV ID Card
  • Department of Corrections Identification Card

What is a Certified Copy?

A certified copy of a birth or death certificate will have an embossed, slightly raised seal, bear the signature of the State and County Registrar, and will be printed on security paper. A certified copy is required to obtain a state-issued driver’s license or identification, a passport, insurance benefits, or to travel to some foreign countries.

Who Can Request a Birth Certificate?

Birth certificates are only issued to applicants who have a direct and tangible interest, immediate family members, or legal representatives of the family. If you are:

  • The person named on the certificate – if the person named on the certificate (i.e. the registrant) is the requestor, that person must provide valid photo identification at the time of the request.
  • The parent(s) named on the birth record – you must provide valid photo identification.
  • An authorized legal guardian or agent – any person who has legal custody or control of a minor child must provide a certified copy of the court order that established the guardianship and/or legal custody.
  • Grandparents of the person named on the certificate – you must provide proof of relationship such as the birth certificate of the registrant’s parent.
  • A person aged 18 or older who is a sibling and is named on the certificate – you must show proof of relationship by providing a copy of his or her birth certificate listing one of the same parents, along with his or her valid government-issued picture identification which includes a signature.
  • The spouse of the person named on the certificate – must provide a copy of the marriage certificate, a photocopy of the spouse’s picture identification, which includes the spouse’s signature, with a notarized letter from the spouse giving permission.
  • An Attorney – must represent an immediate family member and provide a notarized letter on letterhead signed by the attorney, provide a bar number indicating the reason for the request and whom they represent, provide supporting documentation with the fee, and provide a notarized release from the biological mother, in the event of an adoption.
  • A State or Federal Government Official – we may disclose data from Vital Records to authorized representatives of Federal, State, or County agencies of government which request such documentation within the conduct of their official duties.

Georgia law and the State Department of Public Health regulations require that all requests for vital records include the signature, a picture ID of the requestor, and the proper fee.

What is the Out of Institution Birth Process (Home Births) at Fulton County Vital Records?

In any case where a birth occurs outside a hospital, or other recognized medical facility, without medical attendance and the birth certificate is filed by someone other than a healthcare provider, additional evidence to support the facts of the birth shall need to be completed and filed in person at the local Vital Records registrar in the county where the birth occurred. There is no filing fee for this process.

A birth certificate for a birth that occurs outside a recognized medical institution shall only be filed upon personal presentation of evidence by the individual(s) filing the certificate.

You may request an out of institution birth packet from our Vital Records office via the customer service walk-in counter from Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) or find the packet here and follow the instructions. This procedure requires the original documentation to be mailed into the state vital records to register the certificate and may take anywhere from 6-8 weeks for processing.

Fulton County Vital Records
141 Pryor St.
Suite 1029A
Atlanta, 30303

Note: If the child is more than one year old, the out of institution birth cannot be registered. The parent(s) must apply for a birth certificate by Delayed Procedure. For more information on this process or to check on a status, you may dial the state office at 404.679.4702.

How Can I Get an Apostille Copy or an Exemplified Copy of a Birth Certificate?

If you require an apostille or are planning to adopt a child from a foreign country, please inform the clerk that you would like a pen-in-hand signature. There is no additional charge for this service.

For current information about the fee and location to obtain apostille copies, you may call the Georgia Superior Court Clerks Authority at 404.327.6023 or visit

For information about exemplified copies (Great Seal certification), call the Georgia Secretary of State Election Division at 404.656.2871. These two agencies are not affiliated with the Fulton County Vital Records Office.

How do I Order a Foreign Birth Certificate?

Foreign birth certificates cannot be ordered via this service and must be requested from the State Vital Records office only by dialing 404.679.4702.

Can you Print Historical Birth Records?

Yes. Fulton County Vital Records can print copies of some historical births that occurred in Georgia as early as 1896 and historical deaths that occurred as early as 1889. For other historical information, you may want to contact the Georgia Division of Archives and History by visiting their website for contact information. The Archives maintain a large, public collection of historical records plus a library of genealogical histories.

Who Can Request a Death Certificate?

Certified death certificates are only issued to applicants having a direct and tangible interest, primarily family members and/or legal representatives of the family. Proof of the relationship will be verified or must be provided if applicable.

Why Does the Death Certificate List “Pending” on the Cause of Death Line?

Often, more information or additional testing is required to accurately determine the cause and manner of death. A pending status will still allow for immediate funeral arrangements to be made. Once a final determination of the cause and manner of death has been made, a supplemental death certificate will be issued to Vital Statistics.

How Can I Get a Copy of a Fetal Death Certificate or Request a Certificate of Birth Resulting in a Stillbirth (CRSB)?

Contact the state office at 404.679.4702 regarding certified copies of fetal death and stillbirth certificates. We are not able to assist with this request.

How do Funeral Homes Request Death Certificates?

Requesting In-Person Pick-Up

For Local Funeral Homes wanting to pick up, please fill out the form below by 3:00 PM daily. Please be sure to indicate if you would like to pick up at the Government Center Location OR College Park. All payments are due upon pickup via Cash, Debit/Credit (No Amex), or Personal Check (No Counter Checks or Post-dated Checks).

Death Certificate Pick-up Form

MM slash DD slash YYYY
Please select an option.
Death Certificate Requests(Required)
Decedent's Full Name
Date of Death
County of Death
Number of Copies
Please fill out all information for each decedent. You may add lines for additional decedents.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Order Online

Funeral Homes may also order online via VitalChek’s Funeral Portal. You must first register your funeral home by calling 888.216.9944. You can also register via email at

What If I Don’t Have All the Information Requested?

  • Birth certificates – you must provide all the information requested in the application.
  • Death certificate – you must provide the name of the subject at the time of death and the year of death in order to conduct a search. However, any other information will be helpful to assure that the correct record is accessed.

What is a Paternity Acknowledgement Affidavit?

A Paternity Acknowledgment Affidavit helps to establish the father and their relationship to a child. It is a voluntary agreement between the mother and biological father to add the father’s name to the birth record while giving the option to change the child’s last name to that of the father as well. The child’s given name may also be changed within their first year after birth, if applicable. Both parents must present a valid, unexpired photo ID for this service. A free notary service is provided when both parents are present to sign.

This service is available at our Pryor Street location Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (excluding major holidays). We are unable to assist with this service after these hours. There is no filing fee if done within the first year of birth. There is a $10 filing fee for persons over a year of age. A free notary service is provided for this process only.

Note: Fulton County Vital Records acts as the liaison only for this process and requires the office to mail the original acknowledgment affidavit to the State Vital Records office for review and processing. Please allow at least 6-8 weeks for the updated version of the record to be accessible in the system. You may also contact the State Vital Records office directly at 404.679.4702 if necessary.

Does Fulton County Vital Records Issue Marriage and Divorce Certificates?

Fulton County Vital Records does not issue marriage or divorce certificates. For marriages and divorces that occurred in Fulton County, you may contact the Fulton County Probate Court at one of the following:

Fulton County Probate Court
136 Pryor Street
Suite C-230
Atlanta, 30303
404.613.4583 or 404.612.4640

North Service Center
7741 Roswell Road
Suite 219
Atlanta, Georgia

South Service Center
5600 Stonewall Tell Road
Suite 218
College Park, 30349

State Office of Vital Records
(Issues Marriage Certificates from June 1952-Aug 1996 )
1680 Phoenix Blvd
Room 100
Atlanta, 30349

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Do I Qualify for WIC?

You can take the WIC Eligibility Assessment to see if you qualify or call the Fulton County Board of Health WIC Hotline at 770-520-7500.

The Online Intake Form can assist you in determining your eligibility for the WIC Nutrition Program. It is a preliminary assessment; only Fulton County WIC staff can determine if you qualify for WIC services in Fulton County.

Applicants must live in the state and local jurisdiction in which they apply for the WIC Nutrition Program. This means our applicants must be residents of Georgia and live in Fulton County.

Income Requirement
To be eligible for WIC, applicants must have income at or below the standard set by the Georgia WIC program which must be between 100% but not more than 185% of the Federal poverty income guidelines. Certain applicants can be determined income-eligible for WIC based on their participation in programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, TANF (formerly known as AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children).

 Nutrition Risk Requirement
Applicants must be seen by a health professional such as a physician, nurse, or nutritionist who will determine whether the individual is at nutrition risk. “Nutrition risk” means an individual has a medical-based condition such as anemia, a poor pregnancy outcome, or a dietary-based condition such as bad eating habits. This often can be done in the WIC clinic at no cost to the applicant. However, this information can also be obtained from another health professional such as the applicant’s physician.

Length of Participation
WIC is a short-term program. Therefore, a participant will “graduate” at the end of one or more certification periods. An eligible individual usually receives benefits from 6 months to a year, at which time they must reapply.

WIC participants who move can continue to receive their benefits until their certification period expires if there is proof that the individual received WIC benefits in a previous locality or state. WIC staff at the original office you were approved for will provide you with a special card to present to your new location. When you arrive for your first appointment at the new office, be sure to bring that card with you.

What Can I Purchase with WIC Vouchers?

A variety of nutritious foods can be purchased with WIC vouchers. Additionally fresh, frozen, canned, and organic vegetables and fruit options are made available to participants.

How Do I Apply for WIC?

Call the Fulton County Board of Health WIC Call Center at 770-520-7500, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:15 p.m., to schedule a telephone appointment today. To help make your process faster in the clinic, please register your family on Georgia Gateway.

How Can New and Current Participants Apply During COVID-19?

Due to COVID-19, the Fulton County Board of Health is now providing WIC services via telephone consultations for new and current WIC participants.

WIC staff will now certify new participants, offer nutrition education, and confirm food vouchers for all participants via telephone appointments. Food vouchers will then be mailed to participants.

Need to enroll in WIC services? Contact the WIC Call Center at 770-520-7500.​, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.

Do you need a follow-up appointment to maintain your WIC services?
For current participants, the WIC staff will call you to conduct your nutrition education and manage the mailing of your vouchers.

Did your phone number change?
It is important that WIC participants notify us at  770-520-7500 to update their contact information.

Have you taken the required nutrition education for new and current WIC participants?
Both new and current WIC participants can complete their required nutrition education online. Once enrolled, new users can sign-up for the online class as directed by WIC staff. Current participants should refer to their WIC program card and sign-up by the deadline indicated on your card.

For more information about your WIC enrollment or program benefits, contact the WIC Call Center at  770-520-7500, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.



What is HIV / AIDS?

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a type of STI (sexually transmitted infection) that is not curable. It is transmitted through direct contact with blood or bodily fluids that contain HIV such as semen, anal or vaginal fluid, pre-seminal fluid, or breast milk. In addition to sex, transmission can come through a blood transfusion, contaminated hypodermic needles, and an exchange between mother and baby during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.

HIV is a fragile virus. It cannot live for very long outside of the body. As a result, the virus is not passed through day-to-day activities such as shaking hands, hugging, a casual kiss, a toilet seat, drinking fountain, doorknobs, dishes, drinking glasses, food, pets, or mosquitoes.

If left untreated HIV develops into AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) which means the immune system has now been severely damaged. This leaves individuals susceptible to opportunistic infections and illnesses.

What are the Symptoms of HIV?

Some people who have HIV do not develop symptoms for many years. Others have flu-like symptoms such as:

  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Night sweats
  • Chills
  • Mouth sores
  • Sore throat

HIV Treatment (Ryan White Program)

Are There any Other Services Available to me if I Qualify for the Ryan White Program?

I Have Private Insurance, Can I Still Apply for the Ryan White Program?

Yes. You may still be eligible but some services might be limited services. For more information, please call us at 404-613-1430 or 404-613-1401 to discuss your specific case.

I Met with an HIV Care Coordinator and Completed a Ryan White Program Application, but I was Missing Some Documentation. How Long do I Have to Provide This Information?

You have 30 days after enrollment/re-certification to provide any missing documentation.

I’m a Ryan White Program Client, but I Don’t Know How to Access Services.

Please call us at 404.613.1430 or 404.613.1401.

Is the Ryan White Program a Form of Insurance?

No. The Ryan White Program is not a type of insurance (such as Blue Cross Blue Shield) nor is it an entitlement program (such as Medicaid or Social Security Disability). The Ryan White Part A Program provides services to eligible and enrolled individuals on a stop-gap basis until other sources of payment for care are found.

Once I’m Accepted into the Ryan White Program, do I Ever Have to Reapply?

Re-certification of continuing eligibility for the program is required every 6 months.

Who was Ryan White and Why is this Program Named After Him?

Ryan White was a teenager in Indiana who contracted HIV/AIDS from a blood transfusion in the 1980’s. When he tried to return to school, he faced backlash and discrimination. Ryan and his mom fought to educate the public on why they shouldn’t fear being around people who have AIDS and how seeking treatment works to extend the life of those who are infected. Ryan died in 1990, one month before he was going to graduate high school. That same year, Congress passed the HIV/AIDS bill that bears his name – the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act for his pioneering, courageous struggle.

PReP (Pre- Exposure Prophylaxis)

How Long Does PrEP Take to be Effective?

PrEP typically takes 7 days to provide full protection for anal sex and 20 days for vaginal sex. It’s important to use condoms during those times to prevent HIV transmission.

How Effective is PrEP at Preventing HIV?

When taken correctly and consistently, it is 92%–99% effective in reducing your risk for HIV.

Once You Start Using PrEP, do You Have to Use it Forever?

No. We recognize that people go in and out of “seasons of risk,” where there are certain times it makes sense to take it, and then other times where it doesn’t.

If I Take PrEP Can I Stop Using Condoms?

It depends. Using condoms is a personal choice made between you and your sex partner(s). However, PrEP only protects against HIV, so you would still be susceptible to getting STDs, STIs or getting pregnant. You should discuss this with your physician or healthcare provider.

Are There Any Side Effects Associated with Daily PrEP Use?

Most PrEP users don’t experience side effects. In your first few weeks of taking PrEP, you might experience minor symptoms such as fatigue, headache, abdominal pain, or weight loss. These side effects should go away.

I Think I've Been Exposed to HIV. Can I Start Taking PrEP to Prevent Infection?

No. PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) can only prevent HIV when taken consistently before exposure. It cannot be started as a method of treatment after possible exposure.

PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) is a 28-day treatment regimen recommended for people who’ve been exposed to HIV. It needs to be taken as soon as possible as PEP is only effective if taken within 72 hours of the event occurring.

Keep in mind that if you are exposed to HIV during a weekend, or you cannot make an appointment for the next day with your primary care doctor, you should go to an emergency room for immediate treatment. Do not wait more than 36 hours to start PEP treatment.

If you are currently taking PEP, talk to your doctor before starting PrEP. Blood testing and a short wait time are required to make sure you are HIV-negative after finishing a PEP regimen.

What If my Doctor Doesn’t Know About PrEP?

If your primary care doctor is unfamiliar with PrEP, call Fulton County Board of Health PrEP Expansion Department at 404.613.4708. Our physicians or PrEP Educators can contact your doctor on your behalf to talk about what it is, and how it might be beneficial to you.

True Talk Free Condom Program

What If I Don’t Live in Fulton County, GA?

Currently, True Talk is only available to those residing in Fulton County. However, if you do not have a Fulton County address, you can still complete the form above so that we can contact you with valuable sexual health resources that could be available in your area. 

Can I Get Free Condoms if I Don’t Have a Shipping Address?

Yes. You can pick-up free condoms without placing an order by visiting our Sexual Health Clinic, located at:

10 Park Place Health Center
10 Park Place S.E.  |  5th Floor
Atlanta, GA 30303
404.613.1401 | Map of Location
Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Is There an Age Requirement to Place an Order?

Yes. You must be at least 13 years old. If you are under 13 years old and need sexual health resources, please call the Fulton County Board of Health Sexual Health clinic at 404.613.1401.

How Long Will It Take to Get My Order?

Orders will be shipped 3 to 5 business days after your order is complete. Delivery times will vary based on local mail carrier times. However, if you haven’t received your order within 10 business days, please email us at

How Can I Track my Order?

Tracking information is not currently available for packages once they are shipped. Please email with your reference number if you have not received your package within 14 business days after your order was completed.

What If I Entered My Contact Information Incorrectly?

A reference number can be found in your confirmation email that should have been sent within 2 hours of you completing the form. Email with your reference number if you need to make an update to your order information.

How Often Can I Order Free Condoms Online?

True Talk condom orders may be placed every 30 days. An email with information on reordering will be sent to the email address you used when completing the form.

What If I Need Larger Quantities of Condoms Than What Comes in This Order?

Email to tell us about your organization and the quantities that are needed so that we can assist.

Am I Allowed to Redistribute These Condoms to Others in my Community?

Yes. The condoms in this package can be individually offered to friends and family. If you need larger quantities for wider distribution, email and to tell us about your organization and describe your needs.

Hepatitis A

Who is Most at Risk?

  • People who are experiencing unstable housing or homelessness
  • Individuals who are currently being treated for HIV
  • International travelers
  • Men who have sex with other men
  • People with chronic liver disease including cirrhosis, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C

More information is available from the CDC here.

Should I Get Vaccinated?

The Hep A vaccine is recommended for:

  • Men who have sex with men
  • Illegal drug users
  • Those who are experiencing homelessness
  • International travelers

Legionnaires’ Disease

Are Certain People More at Risk Than Others?

Yes, and knowing the risk factors is important. There are individual risk factors like older age (greater than 50 years), being a current or former smoker, having other health conditions that affect your lungs, or having a weakened immune system. Additionally, there are environmental risk factors like having been in, or near, a place that produces water vapor or mist such as spas, whirlpools, hot tubs, or indoor decorative fountains. This can also include showers or misters.

Does Legionnaires’ Disease Happen Everywhere?

Yes, it can happen wherever there is fresh water that has Legionella bacteria in it. While it’s not a very common disease, we are seeing increases in cases.

How Common is Legionnaires’ Disease?

It is not that common. The United States averages around 10,000 per year while Georgia sees several hundred statewide.

Why Are We Seeing More Cases?

We are not exactly sure, but experts think it’s due to several different factors. These range from people getting older, to aging water infrastructure (like pipes), and the increase of environmental temperatures. Doctors may also be testing more for it, and when that happens, more cases are found.

Why Do I Hear About Hotels Having Problems with Legionnaires’ Disease?

Legionella bacteria grows in warm, slow-moving water and larger buildings naturally have more plumbing. Keeping all of that water cool and constantly moving can be a challenge. If hotels do not routinely monitor their water quality, they risk having these bacteria spread through their systems.

How Do You Know You Have Legionnaires’ Disease?

You won’t know unless your doctor tests you for it. But before you rush to the doctor, think about your own health and what you’ve done recently. Do you have any unusual lung problems? Have you spent time in a hot tub or whirlpool? Have you traveled recently and stayed in a hotel where other people may have felt ill? Be sure to share all those details with your doctor.

What Can I Do to Protect Myself?

First, it’s important to realize that where there’s water, there’s bacteria. The good news is that those bacteria are most likely not going to make you sick. But simple things you can do are to run every faucet in your house occasionally. That helps to make sure the water in your pipes doesn’t sit still for long periods of time. You can let your water run for 15-20 seconds before you get into the shower, especially if you don’t know when the last time the shower was used.

Should I Contact the Health Department if I Think I Have Legionnaires’ Disease?

If you suspect Legionnaires’ disease, call your doctor first. The doctors then let us know at the health department when they find cases so we can keep track of any outbreaks or trends.

Additional Legionnaires’ Disease Information:

Pin It on Pinterest